Skip to main content

Fiddelity - Truth or Fiction

Despite stating that "Fiddelity" is a fictional story, I have been asked many times how much of this story is true.  Real life can and often does trigger a fictional story. There may be hints of real people in this story of mine, but they are a mosaic of different people, some known, some imagined, some merely observed. 

My parents had a very loving relationship and were great friends to one another; so this was not about them. My dad never spoke of the War or his career. But the “mom” in the story was in a small way my mother. She loved nursing, she often spoke of the War years fondly, had wanted to be a doctor and probably never wanted to be a mother of five boys. She did get pregnant and she did have to come back to Canada from the field in North Africa in 1944 before the War had ended. And she didn't get a promotion she was up for. But she didn't lose the baby. It was my eldest brother. 

My mom, who had been something of a "Tom Boy" in her teens, did teach me how to fight when I was being bullied in school soon after we had come to Canada. She also taught me how to throw a ball and to catch. 

And in junior school, when I was eleven or twelve, I had wanted to play the violin, but there were not enough instruments to go around. The violin I was after was given to a girl in my class, because boys really did not play violins… (which proved to be a fallacy). And at my high school, I had wanted to join our chapel choir, which had quite a fine reputation, but the Choirmaster (who had been an organist at Westminster Abbey) told me to join the glee club instead. I subsequently discovered it did not exist. But I certainly dared not tell him off and I, therefore, did not get expelled. 

Neither was I captain of the soccer team, nor president of the students' council, but I was captain of the Colour Guard in our Cadet Corps, and a member of the Colour Squad on our gymnastics team, on the light weight (those were the days) rowing team and, in my final year, a Prefect and the Head Boy at the School. 

Also, I am indeed now a seventy year old learning, or trying to at least, to play the violin/fiddle. Oh yes, and there is a Poppy. She is the six year old daughter of a friend, and she does have red frizzy hair, and a toothless smile; but she does not play the fiddle. 

That is about the extent of any connexion in the play to my autobiographical life.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lighthouse Benefit a Huge Success

Congratulations to all who made the Schafner Point Lighthouse Benefit on Saturday evening an overwhelming success. The sold out crowd of over 70 enthusiastic people enjoyed an evening of spectacular entertainment by fiddler Steve Klein and actor Paul Rapsey. Steve played brilliantly throughout the evening. The audience engaged in energetic hand clapping and foot stomping to his music. Paul’s monologue was sprinkled with both delightful laughter and pin dropping silence from the audience, culminating in a prolonged and spontaneous standing ovation. The many volunteers of the Port Royal Lighthouse Association and of the Lower Granville Hall were the backbone of the evening. Bravo! Steve will be playing his fiddle again on Saturday, March 18 at the Granville Ferry Community Hall in the village starting at 7:00 p.m. He will be joined by Scott Henderson on pipes and flute. There are no tickets, but admission will be on a first-come-first-served basis. Doors open at 6:30. Entry fee is $1

Launch of Five Monologues a Success

Thank you to Holly Sanford and the Mad Hatter Bookstore and Wine Bar for hosting the book launch yesterday of Paul Rapsey's "Five Monologues" book. The packed room was treated to a selection of "readings", actually of recitals by Paul, of a section from each of the five plays. The audience was thoroughly engaged and gave Paul an enthusiastic reception. There was some concern that people would not be as interested in the launch of a book of plays as they had been for the launch two months ago of Paul's novel, "Murder on the Pony Express Way". However, this concern proved unfounded. The space was packed to overflowing. One person wrote of the event: " This was the best reading from a book launch I’ve ever attended. The difference, of course, is that Paul knew the material so well that he didn’t just read, but he acted wonderfully. What a delightful way to spend an hour. "

Fiddelity Screening to be held in Cobourg

A screening of the film "Fiddelity" is to take place at the Loft Cinema in Cobourg, Ontario on Tuesday, December 15, at 2:00 p.m. The three actors, now living in Nova Scotia, coincidently all have a long and strong connexion with this lovely town on Lake Ontario. Seating in this small theatre is restricted to 18 people by reason of Covid-19. The show, which was by open invitation, has quickly sold out and there is a waiting list pending any cancellations.  Admission is by Goodwill offering to the local Food Bank. I have performed two shows in this lovely 50-seat theatre: Alan Bennett's "Bed Among the Lentils",. and Micheal macLiammoire's "The Importance of Being Oscar".  Unfortunately, I will not be able to attend this event.